Nudi Pasta.The start-up of a fresh pasta business.

Any person that knows me well, knows I'm always thinking of new business ideas. I could probably say I've been doing businesses (or at least researching about them) all my life. It started in kinder garden with silk worms, $1 each, 2nd grade handmade hair pins, 3rd grade a small bank where my parents would "deposit" pennies, a monthly newspaper that covered 4th grader things like school crushes, then I got more fancy with holiday presents like brownies and cookies all nicely packed and everything.

Sharing some home-made brownies in Kinder garden.

My mom was always very supportive, and I thank her for taking me to buy ingredients, bulk colorful necklace beads, and waking up with me at 5 am to pack cookies in nice little bags to sell that morning in school.

My dad, even though he never woke up at 5, he always listened to my ideas and inspired me in a way that felt like I could do anything I wanted.

Now I'm grown up and it's time to start new adventures. But this time, with a bigger market than 5th graders. So through this blog I'll share with you my story, of the start-up of a small artisan pasta business, everything from ups and downs, and maybe you can one day become part of my adventure too.

Karla



11.1.09

I found my flour! 10,000 years in the making

In the morning, when we pleasurably bite into a chewy piece of "pan sobao" or maybe into a buttery croissant, we could easily forget that what we are eating took thousands of years to be developed. Yes, I'm talking about the flour. It all started 10,000 years ago, when man learned how to breed new grasses from the seeds of a wild plant. It later took 4,000 more years for our ancestors to discover that these seeds can be crushed between simple grindstones.

Today, after a long time of searching I found the flours I will try to use for my pasta; 6 to be exact. I still think I might even order some other kinds, to try the infinite combinations that might result in what I believe is perfect pasta. I will be part of an organic coop, which gives the opportunity to bakers, caterers, and other small businesses alike to buy together from several distributors.

I'm overjoyed of being able to find organic flours and cage free organic eggs. It's all coming together!

2 comments:

sean said...

Awesome! Happy to see it's all coming together. Particularly the veggies you and phil give sooo much love to (F*&% the root rot). BTW pics from the D90 look great...how'bout some video, eh?

Chow from chilly DC.

Karla said...

hahaha... thanks! video coming soon, we still need a tripod!